What We Mean By Personal InformationPersonal information is any information in whatever form about an identifiable individual. However, it does not include:
- your name or information which would enable us to contact You at your place of employment including your name, position name or title, business telephone number, business address, business email and business fax number;
- personal information about You that is publicly available information such as information available from a public registry or contained in a telephone book;
- aggregated information that cannot be associated with You as a specific individual; and,
- information which is not about a person but which is about a company, association or another organization.
What Personal Information Does CENTURY 21 Collect?CENTURY 21 collects the following personal information:
- personal information which You voluntarily provide to us when You visit a CENTURY 21 office (a Franchisee’s office) or that is otherwise provided directly to CENTURY 21, such as by telephone, email, mail or fax;
- photographic images of your property, descriptions of the property, and its sale price for marketing purposes, but only where we have obtained your prior consent; and,
How We Use Your Personal InformationCENTURY 21 uses personal information for the following purposes:
- to put You in touch with a broker or sales person with one of our Franchisees who may contact You to assist You with listing property for sale or purchasing property;
- to assist the broker or sales person in finding appropriate property for You;
- unless You choose to opt-out, CENTURY 21 may use information about your home in marketing material (we will not use your name), and may use your contact information to promote and market additional services, products and special offers from CENTURY 21; and,
Why We Disclose Your Personal Information
- CENTURY 21 discloses personal information when it makes the personal information a person has provided online available to its Franchisees and their brokers and sales people.
ConsentExcept where required or permitted to do so without your consent, CENTURY 21 only collects your personal information with your consent. In most cases, CENTURY 21 relies on express consent. However, where the purpose of the collection of personal information is obvious on its face, CENTURY 21 may rely on your implied or deemed consent. In some cases, such as using your personal information for marketing services to You, CENTURY 21 will rely on opt-out consent. (You will receive the information unless You advise us You do not wish to receive it.) CENTURY 21 only collects personal information where it is reasonably necessary to provide the service which You are seeking and which we have agreed to provide. We do not use deceptive or misleading practices to obtain your consent. CENTURY 21 does not require You to consent to the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information as a condition of the supply of a service by us unless such collection, use, or disclosure is required to fulfill the aforementioned purposes of collection. CENTURY 21 reserves the right to collect, use, or disclose personal information in certain limited circumstances, without your knowledge and consent, where required or permitted by law. You may withdraw your consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information in connection with the services that You have requested from us at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. CENTURY 21 will inform You of the implications of withdrawing your consent. If You wish to withdraw your consent at any time, please contact CENTURY 21’s Privacy Officer (see below for contact information).
Access To Your Personal InformationYou have the right to access your personal information in the possession or control of CENTURY 21 and to know how that personal information has been and is being used, and to whom it has been disclosed. CENTURY 21 reserves the right to refuse to comply with all or part of a request where we are required to or are permitted to refuse to do so by the provisions of applicable personal information protection legislation. Applications must be in writing and be sent to our Privacy Officer either by mail or email at the addresses set out below. Applications should have sufficient detail that allows us to identify You and the personal information You are requesting. You may ask to have errors or omissions in your personal information in our possession or control corrected. If we are satisfied that the correction is reasonably necessary, we will correct the personal information and notify anyone to whom we have provided the personal information in the previous 12 months of the correction. If we are not satisfied that the correction should be made, we will annotate the personal information under our control of the correction requested but not made. Requests for access and correction will usually be responded to within 30 calendar days of receiving the request unless we apply to the applicable Privacy Commissioner for an extension. We charge $25 plus $.25 per page for providing You with copies of your personal information. In the event that it will take an unusually long time to collect your personal information, we may charge an additional amount. In each case, we will give You a full quote before photocopying the personal information. There is no charge for correcting personal information. We will assist You with your request and will respond as accurately and completely as reasonably possible. Where we refuse all or part of your request, we will give You the reasons for the refusal and the applicable legislation on which we base our refusal; the name and contact information of someone within CENTURY 21 who can explain the basis for the refusal and of your right to apply to a Privacy Commissioner for review.
How We Protect Personal InformationCENTURY 21 makes reasonable efforts to ensure that Your personal information is protected against loss and unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modifying, disposal, or similar risks. This protection applies in relation to personal information stored in both electronic and hard copy form and will vary depending on the sensitivity of the information. Access to non-public personal information is restricted to selected employees or representatives on a need-to-know basis. In addition, CENTURY 21 employs generally accepted information security techniques, such as firewalls and access control procedures in order to protect personal information against unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modifying, disposal, or similar risk.
Retention of Personal InformationCENTURY 21 retains personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was collected and to comply with applicable laws. Personal information which is collected and used to make a decision about You is retained for at least one year. Your consent to such purpose(s) remains valid after termination of CENTURY 21’s relationship with You.
CENTURY 21 Canada Limited PartnershipAttention: Privacy Officer Address: 700-1199 West Pender Street Vancouver, BC Canada V6E 2R1 Phone: (604) 606-2100 Fax: (604) 606-2125 Email: email@example.com
Dispute ResolutionIf You are unhappy about the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information by CENTURY 21, we ask that You discuss the matter further with our Privacy Officer. If You are not satisfied with the response, You may make an application or complaint to the appropriate Privacy Commissioner.
Types of Personal InformationWe receive two types of personal information from Customers who visit the Website: (1) personal information that Customers provide through registration or other communication on the Website; and (2) personal information CENTURY 21 gathers through aggregated tracking procedures, such as tallying the number of page views throughout the Website over a given period of time. The second type of personal information enables us to tailor the Website content to better meet the needs of our Customers. However, we assure You that CENTURY 21 will not disclose your personal information to third parties except as permitted by applicable law.
CENTURY 21 and its FranchiseesAs a franchisor, CENTURY 21 does not provide real estate broker services. Real estate broker services are provided exclusively by CENTURY 21 franchisees (“Franchisees”). Each Franchisee is an independently owned and operated real estate broker business. Customers applying for services through the Website apply through a Franchisee, not through CENTURY 21. While CENTURY 21 has undertaken extensive measures to control and ensure the privacy and security of personal information obtained through the Website, it does not own or control the operations of its Franchisees. Customers and prospective customers who have concerns about the treatment of their personal information by a Franchisee with which they are dealing are urged to contact that Franchisee directly.
How Does CENTURY 21 Collect Personal Information?
- Usage tracking:
- Use of IP Addresses: An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever You are surfing the Internet. Web servers automatically identify your computer by its IP address.CENTURY 21 and/or its affiliates collect IP addresses for the purposes of system administration, to report aggregated information to our advertisers, and to audit the use of the Website. When Customers request pages from the Website, our servers log the requesting Customers’ IP addresses. Except where You participate in any online transaction CENTURY 21 may offer from time-to-time, we normally will not link IP addresses to anything personally identifiable, which means that Customers’ sessions will be logged, but Customer identity remains anonymous to us. We can and will use IP addresses to identify a Customer when we feel it is necessary to enforce compliance with our rules or terms of service or to protect our service, the Website, or any person, or where it is otherwise permitted by law.
- Other: CENTURY 21 automatically collects anonymous statistical information regarding usage of the Website. For instance, the Website will recognize the type of browser you are using (Netscape, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.), the address of the Internet Service Provider You are using, the site that linked You to the Website, the pages You visit on the Website and similar information. None of this information identifies You personally.
With Whom Does CENTURY 21 Share Your Personal Information?As a general rule, CENTURY 21 will not disclose any of your personal information except when we have your permission or under special circumstances, such as when we believe in good faith that the law requires it or under other specified circumstances, including those described below:
- Business Partners & Sponsors: CENTURY 21 may disclose some or all your personal information to business partners or sponsors, but this use will be specifically described to You prior to either the collection or transfer of the personal information. Many promotions offer opportunities to request additional information from sponsors. By requesting more information, You give CENTURY 21 permission to transfer your personal information to the sponsor so they can fulfill your request. In many instances, only your e-mail address will be shared with the sponsor. If we intend on sharing more personal information with the sponsor than your e-mail, You will be notified prior to the transfer.
- Third Party Data and Data in the Aggregate: From time to time, on the Website You may be offered the opportunity to receive material or special offers from third parties. If You opt to receive information from these third parties, CENTURY 21 will (with your permission) share your name and e-mail address with such third parties. Under confidentiality agreements, CENTURY 21 may match Customer information with third party data. Also, CENTURY 21 may disclose aggregated Customer statistics (i.e., where we disclose a characteristic of our Customers as a group and not as individuals) in order to describe our services to prospective partners, advertisers, and other third parties, and for other lawful purposes.
- Service Providers: Information CENTURY 21 receives through the Website is provided to services providers retained by CENTURY 21 including Filogix Inc. and WheretoLive.com, Inc., in order to organize and distribute appropriate personal information to enable CENTURY 21 and its Franchisees to communicate with its Customers and to provide information about marketing initiatives that may be of interest to its Customers.